The Department of Geology is a center of excellence for geologic education and research. The discipline seeks to comprehend the fundamental processes of the earth, such as earthquakes, volcanic activity, floods, and the need for new types of energy, extraction of rocks and minerals that make up the earth's surface, etc.
Geologists have a vast field of organizations in which to work from that are responsible for basic and applied geological research within the country - companies in charge of the planning and construction of civil works and urban settings.
|Staff in charge
||Dr. Sergio Sepúlveda
||Dr. César Arriagada
||Dr. Luisa Pinto
||Dr. César Arriagada
The Department of Geology is the principal and oldest teaching and research center of earth sciences in the country. It enjoys international recognition for its level of academics, for the quantity and quality of its publications and the high standing of its researchers.
- Bachelor of Science in Geology: educates professionals that study the origin, history, form, chemical and mineral composition, development and evolution of material components as well as the changes that have occurred to planet earth from its origin to the present.
- Master of Science in Geology: carries the goal of educating graduates with advanced understanding in the field of geology and who possess the ability to creatively perform, not only in higher education instruction, but also in the development of scientific and applied research.
- PhD of Science in Geology: the program objective is to educate graduates with advanced understanding in the field of geology, with the ability to design and develop scientific and applied research, perform creatively in higher education teaching and direct teams of multidisciplinary research.
- Postgraduate Degree of Applied Hydrogeology in Mining and Environment: the objective is to offer professionals in the area of geology and engineering the capacity to solve and propose strategies for addressing problems linked to exploration, exploitation and sustainable management of groundwater resources in environmental and productive zones.
- Postgraduate Degree of Applied Geologic Engineering in Civil Works: seeks to empower professionals in the areas of geology and engineering with the ability to resolve and propose strategies to address problems linked with applied geology in engineering projects, geotechnics, engineering of rocks and soils, and the identification and analysis of natural threats in engineering projects.
The foci of research that the department carries out centers on the understanding of our planet, its structure, functioning and how the balance of its dynamic systems can be maintained. At the same time, the department conducts studies on how to make sustainable use of the richness and diversity of the planet for the benefit of all of its inhabitants.
The following are the academic department research areas:
- Andean tectonics and sedimentology
- Minerology and petrology
- Economic geology
- Volcanology and volcanic dangers
- Geothermic energy
- Geomorphology, marine geology and quaternary geology
- Neotectonics, seismotectonics and seismic dangers
- Applied geology and natural hazards
- Hydrogeology and environmental geology
In addition, the department works on various research projects financed through competitive funding sources, among others.
Extension and outreach
The Department of Geology Extension Unit, created in 2012, has the goal of disseminating knowledge generated through its research to those of the teaching faculty by means of school education and scientific exposure through the following initiatives:
- The course "Social Role of the Geologist", serves as a moment of self-reflection for professionals in training.
- Geology Training Program for professors of educational establishments and the editing of a geology book for elementary school students
The department also maintains a specialized library that includes numerous thesis papers, geographical and topographical magazines and maps.
||+562 29784111 - +562 26963050
||Plaza Ercilla 803, Santiago, Chile